Thursday, September 18, 2014

Going Batty over STEM


We have been road tripping it through Georgia, and our latest stop in the Piedmont region led us to investigate bats. 

Our STEM project for this unit was to design a bat house.  After we researched bats and read Lucy's story, we had some questions ya'll. You know, the I-know-my-teacher-is-talking-but-I-have-burning-questions-that-are-causing-me-to-scrunch-up-my-face-and-wave-my-hands-like-I'm-trying-to-help-a-plane-land type of questions. You know what I'm talkin' about.  We. Had. Questions.  And isn't that really what it's all about?  So we got busy with the design process.


And then we got to work!







We used cereal boxes, pipe cleaners, and graph paper (to represent chicken wire) to design our prototypes.  My kiddos worked in collaborative groups to come up with their design based on research we had done as a class.  It was a great way to put the engineering design process to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...