Monday, January 30, 2012

Hamburger Helper

It's time to fire up the grill and get cookin'... and I don't mean steaks.  I'm talking about some stories piled high with juicy details.  Stories you can really sink your teeth into!

I love using literature to launch my writing lessons.  Here are a few of my favorites for introducing Writer's Workshop.  


After reading about what an author does, I love to show my class that kids are authors too!  I have several books from Scholastic that are written and illustrated by kids.  You can find a list of  these books here.  Then I pull out a surprise from my book bag... a book I wrote in 5th grade.  That's right - I have the my-mom-was-so-proud-she-got-it-bound-into-a-hardback-book-version of my very own story!  The kids get such a kick out of this!  

We read, read, read, and we talk, talk, talk about the process an author goes through when writing a story (back to the hamburger).  I use this anchor chart to list the steps of the writing process as we discuss them.



To review the steps my kids play Build-A-Burger.  They can play with a partner or alone.  Click the picture to download.




Here's whats on the menu for the rest of the week...super juicy words, Editing Ed, and how to hook your reader!


3 comments:

  1. You've been tagged! Come see what it's all about :)

    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable BLOG!!! Love it:) I'm your newest follower!!! Come see me at 1st Grade Rocks!!! sometime!
    Sheri
    1st Grade Rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tag, you're it!! Stop by my blog to see what it's about and join the fun! :) Have a great day!

    3rdgradetimesinct.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...